Saturday 10 June 2017

A note on my writing style.


This is post number 100, so I thought it might be fitting to say a little bit about my writing style.

No point to this photo, I just like the shot.

Firstly I want to say that I’m always open to criticism of my writing, I’d love to hear what people think of my writing, what’s good, what sucks, what I need to work on. I write these posts for fun, and to work on my writing ability so I’d really like to know what people think of my posts. This post isn’t in response to any criticism; it is just a little explanation of my style.

I generally write my posts on a Saturday or Sunday, ready to be posted Sunday afternoon. Basically I write them, read though once making a few changes and additions then check it for grammar and spelling as best as a dyslexic can, then I post it. I don’t put a huge number of hours in, though I know if I did the end result would turn out better. I think my posts come out better when I write them the weekend before, and make alterations and additions all week until I’m happy and post it the next weekend. Often I just don’t have time for this.

I also just sit down and write, without much referencing (I will always reference where I get ideas from) and I do very little background reading. I defiantly don’t get into scientific articles. I’ve got a Master’s of Science in Biology. I have been there and done that with reading scientific articles and I cannot be bothered doing that for this blog. It takes me a full hour to properly read a scientific article, 10 articles makes for a good rounding of a topic so that’s 10 hours of background reading, no thanks. Remember I don’t get any money for this and I just don’t find that fun right now.

I also just write about what’s on my mind and what I’ve been up to. So sometimes my posts aren’t the most actionable, though I do try to make suggestions to help others make these things more actionable for themselves (“Adapt what is useful”). Again it would be great to try to make things more actionable for others so that is a direction I’m trying to move in.

I am going to start writing each post at least a week ahead of posting so that I can continue to work on them throughout the week. I think this will help me to better my writing ability but putting more work into each article. I should also start doing some more background reading, but one thing at a time.

I also just like this photo

No comments:

Post a Comment