Sunday 17 January 2021

Pistol squats - Heel lift progression

Using a small heel lift
My recurring goal for several years has been to complete five sets of five good pistol squats, but I could never quite manage it. The main issue was my left ankle, which is missing some ROM after a bad break when I was 16 years old. It was always a struggle to get enough ROM in that ankle, and to link that up with the specific proprioception and muscle firing to perform a good pistol squat on that side. With consistent, focused training I would make headway slowly, but it was always difficult to lock in the progress and achieve consistent pistol squats within and between sets.

There are endless articles and videos teaching the pistol squat and various progressions, but I’m going to focus on the one small progression that I got a lot of benefit from.  I haven’t seen the specifics of this progression discussed in this way before. If you are early on in pistol squat progressions I would highly suggest looking at Al Kavadlo’s work, and would consider reading his new book on the topic (I have not read it, but his work is always good). My specific progression technique worked for me because I had sufficient strength and balance, but was missing both a small amount of ROM and the muscular control at that end range. The lack of muscular control is because I have been missing that range of motion since I was 16 years old.

What I needed to do was practice the movement as close to the perfect position as possible to grease that groove. One option often used is to hold a weight out in front of you for a counter balance, then slowly reduce the weight to remove that assistance. I could do pistols with a 2kg weight, or even a 1kg weight, but the specific adaptions didn’t feel correct to drop the weight entirely.

Instead I tried using a very small heel lift (using a heel lift is a standard suggestion by most trainers). I was able to do full pistol squats with the heel lift compensating for my missing ROM. I started with a 7mm piece of plywood and could manage several reps quite well.

I wanted a system where I could very slowly lower the heel lift and therefor reduce the assistance for the missing ROM. One option would be a deck of cards, slowly removing cards, which is something I did consider. Instead I found some scrap acrylic sheet of various thicknesses. In fact, I dropped into a local acrylic product manufacturer and asked from some samples; they pointed me to their off cut bin and said take what I like. I found pieces approximately 5mm and 3mm thick. 

Scrap acrylic and plywood - Cost $0

Using these blocks I could warm up with 7mm, and then switch to 5mm for my main sets. Later when this was easy I could switch to 3mm during the middle sets, eventually performing pistols without the use of blocks. The trick here is getting in lots of good reps, as close as possible to the desired outcome. Now I just do my first 2 reps of a workout on the 5mm block, before my main working sets with no blocks.


The right hand picture shows me using a 5mm block, the position is almost identical, but slightly easier to hold. I am able to keep a straighter back as using the block requires less ankle flexion. 

Combined with this method was collecting many reps daily over our covid-19 lockdown, which I will discuss in detail in a further post. This allowed me to get to a point where I could do 5 sets of 5 pistol squats with what I would consider good form. I am constantly working for better form (particularly a straighter back) and better control but I am very happy with my progress. If you need something to help lock in good reps of pistol squats try a small heel raise and reduce this as you get better.

A note short note on pistol squats: I think pistol squats are a movement worth doing and they are worth working towards even if you can’t do one. The end range position is something important to train as it often comes up in nature (particularly when hiking or climbing in rugged environments). I’m not worried about a rounded back during pistol squats, as the back isn’t loaded, though I think it’s worth working to reduce the amount of flection. I think heavy back squats are great if you have access to the equipment and can do them safely.  I train both back squats and pistol squats.

If you have any questions feel free to leave them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment