Sunday 24 January 2021

Lockdown Running

“What stands in the way becomes the way” – Marcus Aurelius

The New Zealand lockdown started on Wednesday 25th March 2020 and ended on Monday 27th April 2020 (roughly 5 weeks). Late in 2019 I had started to plan out my year of trail running for 2020. I wanted to peak for running 100km at the blue lake 24 hour event in September (post coming), and for a fastest known time (FKT) attempt of the Kaimai North-South Track in February (more details about this to come). My plan was to get in one big trail run per month. I was also choosing trails with a lot of elevation gain, ideally 1000m+.

After the FKT attempt in February I was ready to start my hard training runs in March, and was planning to run the Bell-Tahuanui track loop on Mt. Pirongia on Wednesday 25th March (I even took the whole week off work). But this was not to be; instead on the first day of my week off it was announced we were going into lockdown, I would be stuck at home for 5 weeks.

A note on how I treated the Lockdown: We knew that the stricter the lockdown, the shorter it would be. With this in mind, I only left the property for food shopping once per week, and to walk the dog on a 2km loop once per day. While there was nothing legal to stop me from running the roads near my home, I chose not to. This isn’t some weird form of virtue signaling, or boast of how difficult my lockdown was. I just found that by deciding to stay at home, I was able to limit the moral fatigue that comes with choosing to leave the house.

If there was a hill or staircase near my house I would have found a way to accumulate 1000m of elevation gain for a training run. However, the closest hill was in an adjacent neighborhood which I deemed to far to travel to. After seeing a Frenchman who ran a marathon on his balcony I planned to run laps of my house to get in my training. I wasn’t alone is this, and many people on local running groups were planning the same, some even set up virtual events.

I paced out my course at approximately 50m (I live on a small flat section, with a small house in the middle) To run a 5k would be about 100 laps, and a 10km would be about 200 laps. My usual training run would be a 10km run on a Saturday or Sunday, so instead of a road run I substituted laps around my house.

Round and round like a hamster wheel

My start and finish point was my back deck where I kept a drink and white board, recording every 10 laps. I would run 20-25 laps in one direction before reversing to run the opposite direction. This training was harder than I expected; even when I felt like I was running fast, my fitbit/strava still recorded it as a rather slow pace. The constant turning made it difficult to ever get up to a good pace. During the lock down I ran 7km (150 laps), 4.4km (100 laps), 10.7km (200 laps) and 2.6km (50 laps). I considered running a half marathon or even full marathon, but I didn’t want to sacrifice my pistol squat training program. I can run a half/marathon anytime, but I probably won’t get another chance at my pistol squat program.

While this wasn’t amazing training I did get to run which felt great and I could call it an achievement for the day. You don’t have to be in lockdown to do this either, channel your inner crazy person and find a ridiculously short track to run far too many laps of. It’s mental training to set an odd goal which is easily achievable and you get to make a small win for the day or week.

In costume for a virtual event


No comments:

Post a Comment