Sunday 21 February 2021

Door knob climbing holds

Inspired by ninja warrior I always keep my eyes out for potential climbing holds/ odd “fitness” equipment. With this in mind I spotted these 6 old door handles in the store room at work. They are internal ‘orbit’ (i.e. round) door handles which were missing all the other parts, which was fine by me, I only wanted the handles. So when the time came for a big clean out of the store room, I was able to liberate these handles from the skip bin.

These were a little bit tricky to work with since they were obviously not built to be climbing holds. For one thing, the back of the handle is meant to fit over a large hole in a door. I used some scrap plywood to build a base, and drilled a centre hole to accommodate the back of the handle. In addition, there were parts of the handle that stuck out the back side, which I needed to drill space for as well. This is what makes the base look like Mickey Mouse. With the base built, I used some medium size tek screws (an extra beefy screw) to mount the door knobs next to my campus/hang board.

Finished base and tek screw

The handles are quite tricky to hang on and take quite a bit of odd grip strength to work with. They only rotate about 45 degrees right or left, so not a lot of spin, but the turning doesn’t really seem to be a factor in the difficulty of these grips. Also your fingers can run into the screws a little, so the fixing isn’t quite perfect.

All set up

Honestly these will probably get very little use as I don’t see them being worked into my current training program, however they were free and a bit of fun. It’s always worth keeping your eye open to find something fun for your gym/training space.




No comments:

Post a Comment