Monday 8 February 2021

My current workout program

2020 was the year of the pistol squat
I thought it would be worth writing up my current workout plan which I have been running for roughly a year now. The main thing to mention up front is that this program is not the optimal way of doing things. The exercise selection, sets and reps, timing, energy systems etc, none of this has been optimised. There is currently no periodisation. This is not my version of a secret sauce, become batman/mega athlete program. That is all to say if you are looking to design a program, this is not a template, only a rough collection of ideas.

So what’s the point, why this program? The point is I will do this program. I can, and will follow it for weeks on end, actually get something done, and move the needle forward. This is the most important point - the best program is the one you will do. So I’ll lay out what I’m doing and why, as there might be some useful information here for someone looking to build their own program to follow.

The what, how’s and why’s

The central feature of this plan was to put in a lot of gymnastics volume, working on muscular endurance. This is something I struggle with, and which always held me back when working on the gymnastic bodies (GB)programs. Secondary to this was to try and at least maintain some of the other movement in the GB program. I only have about 30-45 minutes max during my prime workout time to get things done, so no there is time for extras like grip work or conditioning (Eventually I will work this sort of thing back in, but not yet)

So the first feature of my program - Day one is Monday. I’ve rested during the weekend, and I’m most likely to have time and desire to train on Monday. The things I most want to get done go here. But, if life gets in the way for any reason, I bump this workout back to Tuesday or even Wednesday. That way, if only one workout gets done in a week, it’s the main workout.

Monday:

A: GB Front lever progressions (Hollow rock progression)

B1: Ring row, aiming for 5x15

B2: Push up, aiming for 5x20

B3: Shoulder dislocates, sets of 5

B4: Deadlifts 5x5 at 80kg

C: GB planche progression

A little breakdown is necessary here. It isn’t ideal to start a workout with difficult core work, but I am terrible at these progressions; so it’s best for me to do them first to get the work in. The push ups and ring rows are the main muscular endurance work here and I started by aiming for 5x10 and 5x15 respectively, adding reps where I could. I’m nearly at a point where 5x15 and 5x20 will be my new standard. My plan is to keep this at a maintenance point for some time, while I push more energy into the core and planche progressions. The shoulder dislocates are a good movement to cycle in during upper body work, I suggest applying these liberally. The deadlifts are currently just to give me a little volume to help out my squat, and the plan is to get to 5x5 at 100kg. I’m keeping these very light, as these are not the main point of the workout and I don’t want them to detract for the rest of the workout. The planche progressions are currently maintenance, but I plan on pushing to improve these later this year. This whole workout takes me about 40 minutes, so right on the maximum amount of time that I have available.

Many, many push ups

Tuesday

A: GB Side lever progression (Core based movement)

B1: Front squats 5x5 at 50kg

B2: Arch ups, aiming for 5x10

B3: Wrist prep sequence

The side lever progressions are another tough one for me as its all core work, but again, putting it first and early in the week has meant I’ve been about to make progress on it over the year. The front squats are technique work as I’m not great at them. The plan is once I can do them at 80kg with good form to switch to overhead squats as the technique work here. Front squats and eventually overhead squats will probably take the place of deadlifts on Monday at some stage. The arch ups (an extreme version of a hyper extension) are a low back exercise from gymnastic bodies which I think is extremely valuable for lower back prep work. The plan here is to get back to doing the twisting arch ups then maintain them (these are what I would call a moderately advanced low back strength movement – proceed with caution). The wrist strengthening sequence is out of the GB handstand series, google around and you’ll find something good to follow. These are well worth including in your program for injury prevention. This workout normally takes a little over 30 minutes, so there is room for me to add something at a later point in time.

Wednesday

Wednesdays are tricky as I have my young daughter with me in the gym, so it needs to be something toddler safe, so this is kind of a work in progress (I used to do Thursday’s workout here, but it just wasn’t working out)

A1: GB handstand work

A2: Knee prep sequence

This has been the workout which most often gets dropped out. I’m least interested in the handstand work right now, and lately my knee has been giving me a lot of trouble making the knee movements too painful (I have a post in the works outlining my knee trouble). For reference the knee prep is several movements involving loading the knee in different ways, including different twisting movements from the GB program (Have a google around if you are interested).

Thursday

I’m really enjoying this workout which is a follow on from my lockdown program. This is my “add one rep” workout. (I have a whole post on this workout, so I’ll be brief here).

A1: Pistol squats

A2: Natural glute-ham curls (very big assist from the hands)

A3: Pull ups

A4: Ring dips

I started this as 5 sets of 5 adding a rep every week; working towards 10x5, then the final goal is 10 sets of 10. The glute-ham curls are only 5x5 (the first 5 sets), and eventually I’ll switch them out for a full glute-ham raise. After the 5 sets of glue-ham raise, I’ve been switching to working on hollow rocks and arch body holds, currently its only around 3x12 (reps/sets) but the goal is to work towards 5x60. This may not be totally possible, but putting in the work will be helpful. Each round takes just under 5 minutes, and I am currently closing in on 8x5, so approximately a 40-minute workout. Thursday works well for this workout since it’s far enough away from Monday/Tuesday’s strength work (In both directions), so I can push hard and get some good work in.

Pistol squat, pull up, ring dip

Friday

Day off, generally I’m pretty worn out by now, and I have a lot to get done on Friday’s.

Saturday

Most of the time Saturday is a 10km road run, but whenever possible I prefer a trail run. 

Out for a training run
Sunday

For the last little while Sunday has been 5 sets of 5 heavy back squats, currently at 120kg. The goal here is to slowly and carefully push my max squat up. Heavy squats had been done on a Monday, but they got too heavy with the rest of the work happening on a Monday. Not sure how long I will keep the heavy squats here, but its working for now.


What I’m Missing.

A big thing I’m missing here is stretching, I’m trying to get up early to get some early morning stretching down, but it’s a struggle (I have a whole post in the works discussing AM workouts).

I need more stretching

Also missing is BJJ, previously I was aiming for Tuesday and Thursday, but energy levels with a new child was difficult, and 2020 was not the year for physical contact in large groups. The plan is to get my act together for a better 2021.

So that’s my current workout program. Hopefully there are some useful ideas in there for you. Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is specifically your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment