Sunday 11 April 2021

More rolling plate storage

When I found myself with a little spare cash and a yearning for dumbbells I decided to get the most practical option I could for my gym. I settled on Olympic, plate loaded dumbbells which could be loaded up to 45kg each. Plenty of weight on a dumbbell for me, and I could also use the weights on my barbells if I wanted to. Note: I don’t use these often in my training, but they have been very handy for some weighted single leg training and were worth the investment for me.

I bought 80kg of 5kg plates, 16 in total for the times I would need to load up both dumbbells and I needed somewhere to store them. My previous rolling storage rack didn’t have the room but was a great design for my needs so I decided to replicate it.

I measured the height of the plates when stacked on top of each other, and the overall width of plates for the dimensions of the base. I used some scrap 20mm plywood for the build. The base is 510mm x 250mm. The sides are 90mm high, measured to just touch the radius for the plate for a snug fit. The rollers are the same as the previous rack, 4 wheels at $5 each rated to 40kg.

This was a very straight forward build, and it allows me to push the plates out of the way under a shelf when not in use. Keeping a tidy gym is important especially in a small space so getting weights off the ground and easily movable goes a long way. It is my strong suggestion to keep your training space tidy to make that element of training as easy as possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment